Monday 7 November 2011

Crochet Cowl Workshop

There's not been nearly enough time for crafting in the DottyHouse recently - I am taking a psychology course and my first essay is due on Thursday (eeek!) so a lot of my spare time has been concentrated on that. I love the course but I haven't written an essay for years so its taken me a while to get my head round the whole thing! However I did manage to fit in a bit of crochet on a Saturday afternoon a couple of weeks ago.

My local craft studio, the Create Place was running an afternoon course to learn how to make a crochet cowl so I thought I'd pop along. Lisa (our teacher), the other student and I had a lovely afternoon chatting away and learning how to make Lisa's crochet cowl design (hopefully coming to a bookshop near you fairly soon!). I'm not sure there's a better way to spend an afternoon! We were using chunky wool and so the design came together pretty fast - a few hours in the class and a couple more at home and I was left with this beast:

Its HUGE and really snuggly.I really like the way it can be worn in so many ways - long like a scarf, across the shoulders, one end tucked inside the other or doubled round to keep my neck super warm. I'm a bit disappointed it hasn't been cold enough to wear it since I finished making it!!

I really like working with the chunky yarn and larger hook size (it was a size 10). It meant that the cowl came together really fast so there was a real sense of achievement plus it didn't hurt my hand and turn it into a claw like some of the smaller hooks can do!

I'm not sure if you can see from the picture but the yarn is an interesting mix of colours - from a distance it looks grey but close up there are hints of pink, turquoise and green. You might be able to see it on this picture better even though its a little blurry:

I wasn't sure about the yarn to start with but it has really grown on me. It is Wendy Serenity Super Chunky which is 10% wool, 20% alpaca and 70% acrylic. I think the colour is called thistle. I've bought another ball to make the matching wrist warmers. Which I am looking forward to starting on as soon as I finish that bloomin' essay!!

Hope you have a lovely week xx

6 comments:

Tickety-boo said...

What a lovely way to spend the day! I love my cowls, they were one of my first projects. In your course do you use the text book "An Introduction to Cognitive Psychology"? I only ask because two very good friends of mine helped write it :)

Annaboo's House said...

Ooooo, loving the cowl!
Super-snuggly. Great colours, too.
Have a great week.
Xx

Tickety-boo said...

Thanks for your lovely comment on my Anniversary post. I did do Child Psychology so if that's ever any help to you ask away x

Jane said...

That cowl looks sooo cosy! And I really love the colour blend x

Hippywitch said...

Gorgeous cowl! There is something fabulous about big hooks and big wool, love the instant gratification of finishing something so quickly :-)

Wendy said...

YOur cowl looks lovely, love the colours. Cowls always make me think of Simon cowell which perhaps isn't a good thing.

On another note - i used to love writing essays. Is that a bit weird?

 
design by suckmylolly.com